Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Outsourcing: Law licenses, we don't need no stinkin law licenses.


From Livemint.com:
"New Delhi: Bad times for some American companies is turning into good times for India’s legal offshoring industry.
For reasons largely economic and partly cultural, India’s legal process outsourcing, or LPO, services providers have seen a sizeable uptick in business since the US economy has faltered. In particular, firms that handle support functions, such as reviewing documents and researching witnesses for US litigation, have enjoyed the biggest increases amid mounting disputes over who knew what and when in the mortgage and related markets meltdown."
There is also a video as well on this when you click the link. As an aside, I did not get one response from either DC Bar President-elect candidate regarding their opinion regarding this matter. I will follow up.
The good news is we will all be unemployed together. Oh and if you want to comment about how doc review is not the practice of law, blah, blah, blah, go ahead. I made my position pretty clear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

India is not the issue. It's our own damn U.S. agencies who have the power to move doc reviews out of DC and NYC to lower cost centers. My brother lives in NC and he tells me contract work is booming down there --- at $20/22 an hour thank you very much.

Gabe Acevedo said...

Honestly, as long as they are licensed attorneys and in compliance professional and ethical standards, I have no problem with that. If they are unlicensed, I would hope they would be supervised at a much higher level, and for larger projects I don't think that is possible. I am not against outsourcing. I am against people practicing law without a license. The entry I wrote called "Why Document Review Matters" goes into alot more detail than I can put in this comment.